Summer is upon us and it’s time to think about grilling and outdoor parties.
What can be more fun (and easy) than preparing food on a stick? There
are many choices so I’m offering some options for breakfast, a main
course and dessert. To be honest, part of the fun is eating the food
with your hands – no need for a lot of fancy table settings! Whether you call the sticks skewers, kabobs, satays, popsicles or cake pops, they are all the same – a holder for your food.
There are also choices when it comes to what skewers to use for food.
Here are a few suggestions: metal, bamboo, lemongrass, toothpicks,
popsicle sticks, straight pretzels and wire.
The type of skewers depends on what you are preparing. Many hot
choices are best on metal (to ensure the center is cooked properly) or
bamboo whereas cold foods can be threaded on lemongrass, toothpicks, and
You can mix-and-match the following suggestions.
Breakfast On A Stick :
- Miniature cinnamon rolls
- Whole, peeled bananas rolled in coconut
- Donut holes and fresh fruit
- Small pieces of waffles
- Small pieces of French toast, strawberries & blueberries
- Fresh fruit including strawberries, bananas, pineapple, kiwi, blueberries, watermelon cubes, raspberries, and/or mangos.
Main Course On A Stick :
- Chicken satay with peanut sauce
- Caprese salad: fresh mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves
- Chicken, red peppers & pineapple
- Salmon cubes with yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes and cucumbers
- Small meat balls
- Spiced lamb or pork
- Chicken, peaches and red onions
- Shrimp or swordfish with pesto
- Bacon-wrapped scallops
- Small pieces of corn on the cob
- Mixed salad
- Watermelon (wedges) lollipops
- Bite-sized burgers with cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce, cherry tomatoes and a small bun at each end
- Mini pizzas
- Rumaki: chicken livers & water chestnuts wrapped in bacon
- Grilled cheese & cherry tomatoes
Desserts On A Stick :
- Cake pops
- Chocolate covered strawberry ice cream popsicles
- Marshmallows dipped in melted chocolate, then rolled in crushed nuts
- Macaroon cookies in various colors
- Ice pops: watermelon-jalapeno, minted watermelon- minted ice, strawberry-blueberry-peach
- Toffee apples
So take my suggestions and use your imagination to create fun summer foods on sticks!